Do you own more than one domain for your business? For example, if you’re based in Australia, you might own ourbrand.com.au and also ourbrand.com.
It’s a good idea to own multiple similar domains like this, for a few reasons:
- To ensure that any of your customers who try to go to the ‘wrong’ domain are able to still find you.
- To stop your competitors from nabbing domains similar to yours and taking advantage of your customers getting your domain ‘wrong’.
Although you can only use one domain for your site, you can forward your other domains to the one you do use. For example, you might use ourbrand.com.au for your site, because it tells your customers (and search engines) that you’re based in Australia, but also forward ourbrand.com to ourbrand.com.au.
This means that any customer who tries to visit http://ourbrand.com will automatically get escorted to http://ourbrand.com.au.
Because you’re forwarding the whole domain, it also means that if they try to visit http://ourbrand.com/contact/, they’ll get taken to http://ourbrand.com.au/contact/, and if they try to visit http://ourbrand.com/about/our-team/, they’ll get taken to http://ourbrand.com.au/about/our-team/, and if they try to visit http://ourbrand.com/jkalsdfkghfsdg/, they’ll get taken to http://ourbrand.com.au/jkalsdfkghfsdg/.
You get the idea.
How to do it
Whenever my client owns more than one domain, I always ensure that their alternative domains are successfully forwarded to their domain of choice. Here’s how I do it and how you can do it.
- Sign into your account with the company with which you registered the alternative domain you want to forward.
- Find the section to set up URL Forwarding.
- If you’re asked to enter a subdomain, leave the field blank.
- Where you’re asked to enter the domain to forward to, enter the domain you use for your site.
- If you’re asked to select between Redirect and Masked, select Redirect.
- Click on the save button.
The process will vary between domain companies. Here’s a screenshot from Name.com, the domain company I use.
The forwarding should take effect instantly. Test it out and you’re done.
- Don’t know which company you registered your domain with?
- Can’t find how to set up URL forwarding?
- Your domain isn’t successfully forwarding?
Contact me and I’ll help you out.